Friday, August 27, 2010

Vacationing in the USA

Allan and I just returned from a wonderful 2 week vacation in the US.  We spent about a week in the Boston area visiting my family, and then about a week in Maine visiting his.  Granted we spent about 2 hours a day responding to emails, but overall it was not an intrusion into our relaxation time at all.  When you own your own business, working on vacation is just part of the package.

The trip was a non-stop adventure visiting family, seeing great friends, eating amazing food like boiled lobster, lobster rolls, Chinese food, clam chowder, to name a few.  I took my niece and nephew to a water park for the day; Allan, my parents and I spent a day on the cape and then a few days on a lake in Maine; we had a BBQ with about 30 close friends and family; Allan went to his high school reunion and saw people he has not seen in 50 years.

To say the least we both were ready to crash upon arrival in Mexico. We arrived back in Playa del Carmen yesterday afternoon at around 4pm and were completely exhausted.  We both were in bed at 5pm and I slept until 6am the next morning. 

The fact that we now vacation in the US strikes me the most.  Before we would go to Italy or Spain.  Now 2 to 3 times a year we go to Boston, a place we loved but certainly were tired of and never expected we would be vacationing there.  It's a strange feeling thinking about being a tourist in your hometown and country.  Mexico very much feels like home now.  The US is now a place to relax and get away.

In an ideal world we'd love to have our friends and family close by.  Now it takes purchasing plane tickets and flying to another country to see my best friend or my parents.  Allan has children and grand children he'd love to see on a regular basis.  However, our life in Mexico is very full and very busy.  I can't think of a single instance when I've been bored or have had nothing to do.  I would cherish such a day as a welcome escape.  Granted too many days with nothing to do would bore me to death, so I much prefer a very active lifestyle as opposed to a sedentary one.


Me and my friend, Gordana and her husband, Franjo, at the BBQ.

Allan and his brothers, Bert and Tom, at the high school reunion.
Allan and I at the cottage on the lake.

Allan and his family - kids and grandkids

Me and my folks

My niece and nephew at the water park.

Me and my good friend, Josh.

No comments: