Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Acting Like Kids on Halloween in Playa del Carmen

Halloween represents the party of the year in Playa del Carmen.  It heralds in a time for celebration and release of your inhibitions.  Adults in disguise don a wide variety of crazy costumes and can experience the freedom of anonymity.  Grown-ups can act like kids again and help to rediscover that part of their childhood hidden deep inside.  Allan and I paraded down 5th Avenue in costume and experienced some of the most fun we've had all year.

I dressed up as Cleopatra.  Planning ahead this year I bought the costume back in May in New York City.  However, when I retrieved the get up this past 31st I realized I didn't have a dress!  I scrambled to find dress designs online, ran over to my tailor and then was unfortunately rejected due to his lack of time.  Luckily at last minute our friend, Marilou, brought over a dress and was able to complete my Cleopatra costume.  Allan dressed up as Katrina, Lady Dead, with the same dress and hat as last year.  It's a wild design which never gets old.

Down 5th Avenue we strut along with Marilou dressed as a devil, our friend Claudia as a witch, Jo Anne as a bar maid and 5 other friends not in costume.  Throngs of Mexican children dressed in costume bombarded us asking for candy.  We sported bags of sweet spicy watermelon gummies, strawberry candy covered in chili and corn flavored Popsicles covered in chili.  The local families have picked up the American tradition of Halloween and now the groups of costumer wielding youngsters grows exponentially each year.  Within 1/2 hour we were out of candy.

I had a hard time letting go of my inhibitions.  Wearing costumes and letting go is just not really my thing.  However after a couple of beers I was able to relax a little bit and get more into the role.  On the other hand Allan was the life of the party.  He never resisted an opportunity to lift up his dress to show a little leg or fondle the balloons positioned on his chest.  At one point Marilou, Allan and I were dancing on the bar at the Tequila Barrel and swinging on a stripper pole affixed atop the bar.  At each bar visited we ran into friends and acquaintances also sporting nifty costumes.  Each bar served as a haven for the costume wearing crowd.  In total we hit 4 bars, danced on 1 bar, were asked to pose for no less than 30 photos, walked for roughly 1 mile and returned home around midnight exhausted and exhilarated.

Even though the next morning our joints were sore and cerebrums aching, we longingly wished Halloween was a monthly event.  We are already brainstorming our costumes for next year.  Hopefully we'll see you strolling down 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen wearing a crazy creation next Halloween!

Playa del Carmen Vacation Rental Condos and Villas


The candy we handed out

Allan, I and Marilou

Jo Anne and I

Marilou, I, Jo Anne and Allan

Claudia, Allan and I

Allan and some children on 5th Avenue

Me with a squirrel on my chest and a lizard on my head

Allan and his long lost sister

Allan now has a job as a mannequin

Marilou, Allan, I and some girls on the stripper pole on the bar at the Tequila Barrel

4 comments:

KfromMichigan said...

Sounds like you had a blast .. where is the video of you dancing on the bar?

Matt Weatherbee said...

I had one of Allan and Marilou dancing on the bar but I took it sideways and can't figure out how to straighten it out!

Matt Weatherbee said...

I uploaded the video! Enjoy!

KfromMichigan said...

WOW .. great leg Allan!