Wednesday, November 26, 2008

You Get Aroused When You Talk to Me

There must be some truth to the rumor that married men are often attracted to their hired help because I keep (accidentally) hitting on my housekeeper due to my rusty Spanish skills. This evening my housekeeper, Zoila, and her cousin, as well and Allan and I were dining on Chinese food at a local restaurant when Zoila began explaining that although we often understand each other there are instances when we just don't comprehend. She speaks only Spanish, and although I've taken 10 years of Spanish and even studied in Spain for 6 months my Spanish is very rusty after not having practiced for 10 years.

The rest of the conversation (in Spanish) goes something like this:

Me: I don't understand you (Zoila) when you start to get aroused because you speak very quickly.
Zoila: I don't think you mean aroused. I think you mean excited.
Me: What did I say?
Zoila: You said when I'm horny I talk to you very quickly and you don't understand what I'm trying to say.

We both laughed about it after wards, no offense taken. The reason for my faux pax was that I was using the word "exitada" (aroused) when I should have used "emotionada" (emotional) or "nerviosa" (nervous). That's the problem when I try to use direct translation of the English word excited and expect I can just remove the ending, add an "a" and have it mean the same. Regardless Zoila and I now feel closer... in more ways than one!

Playa del Carmen Condo and Villa Vacation Rentals

3 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

Sounds like you have housekeeper with a sense of humor!

Beth said...

Your post gave me a great giggle!

Matt Weatherbee said...

Thanks, Beth!