Wednesday, July 22, 2009

No Power

I think I'm starting to get used to the fact that electricity goes out here fairly frequently in the summer. We woke up this morning to the sound of quiet: the ceiling fans weren't moving, the lights on the satellite box were all off. When there are no lights there is no water. Unfortunately I decided to go to bed without showering despite the fact I felt dirty and sweaty. Thus a quick dip in the refreshing pool this morning was my bath - luckily it's right out my back door. And when there is no power I cannot use my computer or the hard wired telephones to work. Exiting my front door with laptop in hand in search of a place with power and a wireless connection I was greeted by the sight of electrical workers stringing large power cables on poles down my street. Quite often when there is no power it's isolated to my condo complex - they are either doing construction work or fixing the electrical meters. In this case the power outage turns out to be a general one meaning a good part of Playa is without power.

A $20 peso ($1.50 US) cab ride later I found myself working in Delicia's Bakery Cafe on the corner of 10th Avenue and the entrance to Playacar. Although my Mexican cell phone has service, my US business line is out of commission, as it is through Vonage which operates through the internet and my Mexican business line is out, too. So I am connected to email, the internet and my cell phone, but the other parts of my business are down for the moment. Luckily life in Playa del Carmen, Mexico is laid back and care free, so I can get away with working at 1/2 capacity for a day or so.

Playa del Carmen Condo and Villa Vacation Rentals

No comments: