Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Halloween Preparations

Allan and I are busy preparing our outfits for our upcoming Halloween party.  When I was back in the USA I found several of these $50 USD costumes at a yard sale for only $1 USD each.  I bought a few figuring someone could use them: a fairy costume, gothic girl and a bumble bee.  I also acquired a couple of witches hats.

This year I've opted for the bumble bee but I'm lacking in a lot of the accessories.  The costume came in ladies small and includes a dress, wings, head band with antenna and yellow bag for candy with honey written on the side.  To accessorize I went with my friend Trudy shopping in Playa looking for tights, a yellow wig and perhaps a yellow shirt to go under the costume.

In typical Playa fashion our search ended with very little: a pair of black and yellow wool leggings.  This is after visiting 7 different stores, including 1 with just halloween costumes (which were great but priced at twice the US value). Granted Playa tends to be hot and humid I was not really looking forward to wearing wool leggings, but it was a start.

Luckily a good friend was going back to the USA for a couple of weeks and was returning before Halloween and she agreed to let me ship some smaller, lighter items to her house that she would bring back.  One thing I do miss about the USA is the shopping - great selection with fantastic prices.  I acquired a perfect yellow wig with pig tails, yellow and black tights, a button with a bee on it that says b-othch (the B word) and yellow and black sunglasses.  They are really going to turn my costume from cute to spectacular.

Allan is busy elaborating his Katrina costume (lady dead) from last year with his friend Lucien who is the former costume designer from Cirque du Soleil.  Yesterday Allan and Lucien spent part of the day visiting a lot of the craft stores looking for new twists and additions to make Allan's outfit even more outrageous.  You will have to stay tuned for pictures.  In the US Allan bought a bunch of lights for his outfit - I guess if you don't notice him behind the extravagant costume, you are going to notice him looking like a scary Christmas tree!!

And then yesterday we were at Cost Co buying candy to hand out.  In Playa our friends meet at our condo in costume, have a drink or two and then head out to 5th Avenue to show off and also to see all the cute kids in costume.  We not only walk around showing off, we also hand out candy to the hundreds of little cuties in their costumes.

Halloween is literally the best day of the year.  We have so much fun, once it's over we are already looking forward to next year, and we talk about other ways to dress up during the year and have fun. Unfortunately Halloween is the only time we actually follow through with it.

Demi gets in the action in her banana costume

My bee costume with the wool leggings i am NOT going to wear

Molli the pirate.


No comments: