Tuesday, August 4, 2009

One Year to the Day

It's been one year to the day today that we packed our lives into an SUV and drove 4,500 miles over 3 1/2 weeks from Boston to Playa del Carmen. I can remember the day we left (or should I say the night since it was almost midnight before we left - only about 12 hours behind schedule). Standing in my vacant condo I looked back at the past 9 years we spent there. All the furniture had been sold or given away. The night before we slept on an air mattress loaned to us from a friend. I was so excited to leave Boston on this jubilant journey not sure when I would return. Driving away as the Boston city line gradually passed from view I felt like shouting "so long Boston, Mexico here we come!"

I look back on that trip longingly. I miss the sense of adventure and excitement - seeing new towns and cities, having no commitments - no where to be and no one expecting me. We were jobless and homeless. Although the 8 hours of driving a day was a bit of a pain, there was such excitement and anticipation to explore the US and Mexico. However once we finally arrived in Playa we were both fed up with driving and weren't ready to repeat the adventure anytime soon. However, I feel ready again. I'm sure Allan is not.

Now I just don't have the time. The property management and rental business has grown to the size where I can't be away for more than 2 days without an inordinate amount of work piling up on us, which would take a couple of weeks to sort through.

I did have the chance to return home to Boston a couple of months ago and it was a very interesting experience. The first few days were weird due to culture shock - it was like I didn't belong. After that I really settled into seeing all my friends and enjoying the 2 weeks I had to spend with family. Duxbury, the town where I grew up and the surrounding area in the spring and summer is just absolutely stunning - lush green lawns, huge well-kept houses and just a beautiful green landscape.

My trip home really helped me to appreciate the US - the fact that one can go into a store and just buy whatever one wants. That's not possible in Playa. In the US not only can one buy something like a pot for cooking, one has the selection of a hundred different colors. I am lucky if I can find one here. And the time I spent with family and friends was irreplaceable.

And although I was sad to leave the US once my 2 week trip was over, I was equally happy to return to my new home. Playa is beautiful too, it its own way. It's a tropical paradise with some of the best beaches in the world. Allan and I have made so many good friends and have had some many wonderful experiences.

Allan also returned home for 2 weeks. Due to business constraints Allan and I had to travel separately - one had to stay behind and run the business. During Allan's first week he visited family in Maine: attended his grandson's high school graduation and his mother's memorial service. (She passed away in February.) His second week he visited Massachusetts, but came down with a kidney infection half way through and spent the rest of his time in a hotel room in bed. There were a fews days when we weren't sure when/if he would return to Mexico. Luckily he recovered in time to return home as scheduled.

I think over the past year I have learned to appreciate that I have 2 wonderful homes - my home in Playa and that back in Massachusetts. Hopefully over the next year as our business expands Allan and I will have more time to travel and visit friends and family state side.

Playa del Carmen Condo and Villa Vacation Rentals

No comments: