Thursday, August 14, 2008

We're at the Border!!

We've arrived at the border in Brownsville, Texas with plans of crossing tomorrow morning at 7am. It was an uneventful drive from San Antonio other than the sea of butterflies smacking into the windshield causing mass carnage. Luckily we passed through several heavy downpours which gave us a free car wash!

I would be lying if I didn't say I am extremely nervous about crossing the border. There's been a pit in my stomach for the past 3 days. Of course, just about anything makes me anxious. I guess it's the fear of the unknown. Don't get me wrong - I'm very excited about our adventure. I'd just like to know that everything will go OK. Driving down today I felt like shouting "I'm going to Mexico!!!".

I decided to alter my border crossing plan thanks to Don Adams' excellent book "Head For Mexico". He recommends declaring all electronic equipment on a sheet of paper, outlining model numbers, serial numbers, value and date of purchase. So I spent about an hour unpacking my vehicle looking for the requisite information for my PC, monitor, printer, telescope, vacuum and television. I'm also including the 2 bikes for good measure.

We received a phone call from our friends in Playa del Carmen this evening. They're very concerned about our plans to cross at Brownsville and head down 180 all the way to Playa. They claim the roads are horrible and there's nothing to see. They contend if we cross over to Monterrey and then head down the middle of the country the roads will be great and we'll have to opportunity to see a lot more. Now I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've gotten contradictory advice from 2 Mexican driving experts. I think I'll sleep on it and decide once I cross in Brownsville whether to head south or cut west over to Monterrey.

The big question is should I shave my 3 day beard? Do I cross looking like a beach bum or a rich American yuppie? Do I wear a baseball cap or glasses? I'm sure I'm over thinking this thing. Time for bed!!

Playa del Carmen Condo and Villa Vacation Rentals

My last night in the US for quite a while!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I think is you are pretty darned cute and you don't have to worry about it either way, so shave or not shave, whatever you want.

Enjoying your story, looking forward to more! Take care of each other.

Anna said...

let me know how the crossing. Goes and if you have any other tips. I'm crossing Sept 1 and am also a bit nervous

Brenda Maas said...

We were very nervous the first time we crossed also. It was a definate anti-climax in that every thing went extremely well and easily.
Hope yours did too.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

We're waiting with bated breath to see how your crossing went...